At the entrance of the ancient Roman market, where nowadays stands the statue of El. Venizelos, a statue-decorated arcade stood proudly up until the mid 19th century – The Enchanted.
Las Incantadas, as it is broadly known, refers to the reliefs of mythological figures that decorated the ancient Corinthian colonnade – 4 in each side. On the first side we find Niki, Aura, one of the two Dioskouros and Ganimidi with an eagle shapeshifted Jupiter. On the other side, Menada, Dionysos Ariadne and Lyda with a swan shapeshifted Jupiter complete the Enchanted
Public-legend has it that Alexander the great asked the king of Thrace to join forces with him prior to his campaign against the Persians. Thus, the Thracian king marched to Makedonia along with his army, his council and members of the royal family. Soon enough, however, he realized that his wife was cheating on him with Alexander. Infuriated by the betrayal, the king of Thrace had his magister bewitch Alexander. The Macedonian king, however, heard of the plot against him and never left his room that night. At the same time, the Thracian king’s wife getting impatient to meet Alexander went on to look for him but when she stepped put in the corridor just outside her bedroom she turned into stone. Same happened to the Thracian king and his guards who headed to the cheating wife’s room to witness the adultery.
Ages pasted and the beginning of the 19th century found the Enchanted decorating the yard of a wealthy jewish merchant – Liatsis Adritis. That was the fate of the masterpiece, up until the point when Emmanuel Miller, allegedly, bribed the Turkish authorities and got permission to disassemble the statues of the colonnade and transport them to France. In 1864, the Enchanted were loaded on to “La moutte” cargo ship and off they went to the isle of the Swans – a small artificial island on the river Seine in Paris, France. Nowadays the Enchanted adorn the Louvre.